Holistic Fertility Care
Acupuncture & Fertility
Acupuncture has been in use for thousands of years and is a rigorous and systematic form of medicine that has been steeped in rich culture for over 4,000 years. It is a safe and effective way to enhance fertility, prepare the body for pregnancy, and aid in maintaining viable pregnancies and live births.
Acupuncture works by moving, balancing and or restoring “Qi”, or life force energy. Shannon uses fine, sterile needles to stimulate qi on the meridians (channels of energy). It thereby stimulates the organs, endocrine system, musculoskeletal system, and much more.
From a Western scientific perspective, we understand the profound capacity acupuncture and Chinese medicine has on the fertility, women’s health, conjunctive use with ART treatment, sustainability of pregnancy and recovery postpartum. Acupuncture can be successfully used to treat many of the complex challenges that fertility can bring.
What Research Has Shown Acupuncture Can Do For Fertility:
- Acupuncture can increase blood flow to the endometrium (uterine lining) helping to facilitate a thicker endometrial lining
- Acupuncture can improve follicular development, number of follicles produced, and help improve ovulatory dysfunction by increasing blood flow to the ovaries
- Acupuncture can significantly increase fertility rates in women undergoing IVF and other fertility treatments
- Acupuncture can lower the rate of miscarriage and ectopic pregnancies associated with IVF
- Acupuncture may help regulate hormone levels, specifically gonadotropin releasing hormone, which in turn may improve ovarian function
- Acupuncture may improve sperm quality and counts in infertile men
Women’s bodies are innately capable and are biologically attuned to the ability to become pregnant. Often times, the body needs to achieve a better balance from an endocrine, energetic, nutritional, and emotional standpoint in order to receive and sustain pregnancy.
Shannon addresses fertility concerns with an in depth understanding of the cycle from a western and eastern perspective, detailed diagnosis and understanding of the underlying problems that are contributing, and timing of the treatments with the cycle in a precise way. This enables our patients to have the best possible outcomes when it comes to achieving and maintaining pregnancy.
Shannon spends an hour and a half with new fertility patients to gain in in depth understanding of their medical history and uncover any factors that may be contributing to why they are seeking treatment. She designs a treatment plan to optimize the timing of treatments with the cycle.
A coarse of treatment can range from 3 months to 9 months. The coarse of treatment varies greatly from person to person depending on individual circumstances and conditions that may be contributing.
Holistic Fertility Treatment Plan Includes:
- Optimal timing of treatments in the cycle
- Empowerment through support in lifestyle choices
- Dietary & exercise considerations
- Chinese Herbs if needed
- Supplements if needed
- In house referrals for chiropractic, massage, or further nutritional counseling
- Learn mindfulness techniques & support in stress reduction
Conditions Related to Fertility Challenges:
- Elevated FSH, Ovulation factors, Poor Egg Quality & Diminished Ovarian Reserve
- Immunologic Factors
- Fallopian Tube Factors
- Luteal Phase Defect
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
- Unexplained Infertility
“I began seeing Shannon soon after suffering a miscarriage. Having never experienced acupuncture before, Shannon took the time to explain the process and ensured I was comfortable before proceeding. While she recommended a protocol and supplemental herbs, I never felt pressured to follow her recommendation. She genuinely seemed to care about my struggle with infertility and only made suggestions to benefit me. I also appreciated that Shannon supported my choice to use acupuncture as a supplement to IVF. For the next 9 months I regularly saw Shannon as she helped to heal my body and prepare it for the in vetro process. She made herself available on the day of the embryo transfer (a Sunday) both before and after the procedure. When I became pregnant (yeah!) I continued to see Shannon throughout the length of my high risk pregnancy, which I have no doubt aided in a long and healthy pregnancy.
Shannon is warm and compassionate, and her treatments are likely a big reason why my husband and I are now the proud parents of three beautiful, silly, very entertaining daughters. I highly recommend Shannon for any fertility or pregnancy related situation you may be faced with. Thank you Shannon! ~ I will forever be grateful!”
Initial Acupuncture Treatment for Fertility (appointment is an hour and half)
Follow up Acupuncture Treatment for Fertility